The Rails hosted Hoover/North for Senior Night on Thursday (1/3). Over the course of the evening, the guys raced hard and earned a solid victory of 110-32! The evening marked a long-time tradition of recognizing the senior swimmers for all their efforts. It’s always a little bittersweet as the team prepares to say goodbye to long-time team members while also being excited about where life will take them next.
“Another senior night is here,” said Coach Weber. “Tonight was last night they stepped onto our deck to compete in a home meet as a member of the team. After all the years I’ve coached many of these guys, it’s always strange to say good-bye. Yet it’s rewarding to see how they’ve grown from small children into accomplished young adults. We wish them the best.”
The Rails are now 4-3 on the season and 2-0 against conference opponents. They have two dual meets left, both against long-time rivals (East and Roosevelt). Then they’ll turn their attention to the upcoming Metro Conference Championships and Districts, both of which have big implications for these seniors legacies and 2018-19 goals.
Good luck to all!
Here’s a few highlights from the meet, with an extra focus on our seniors! Great job everyone!
- Tyler Skalicky won the 200 Free in a 2:08.43 (a season best!)
- Keylan Irvin took third in a 2:23.26
- Javier Santiago sprinted to a 24.56 in the 50 Free and won the 500 Free in 5:42.31
- Joey Loiocomo took 4th in the 100 Free with a 1:01.64
- Will Bennett won in a season-best time of 52.09
- Gabe McCollough took in the 500 Free in a 5:44.08
- Keylan Irvin took 4th in the 100 Back with a 1:21.48
- Noah Schumacher won the 100 Breaststroke in 1:15.13
Below are few photos from the meet. More can be found on the team’s photo website (log-in required).