The Rails hosted the Carroll Tigers at home on Thursday (12/6). The team had an uphill battle, after a varsity team member suffered a non-athletic injury just the day before. But the guys didn’t let that setback deter them. The entire team adapted to a modified line-up and raced hard right from the start.
Despite their effort, the Tigers jumped to an early 34 to 28 lead after winning three of the first four events. After the first break, the Rails won the 100 Fly, but still trailed 43 to 51. However as the 500 Free got underway, it was clear the Rails were aiming to turn the tide! Gabe McCollough won handily in 5:47.95. But Trystan Thomas and Tyler Skalicky raced to 2nd and 3rd respectively – with a 6:06.65 and 6:06.91, a personal best for Skalicky! The 1, 2, 3 finish earned the Rails 13 points in that one event and gave them their first lead of the night 56-54!
After that, the competition heated up. The Rails took 2nd and 4th in the 200 Free Relay resulting in another lead change – 64-60, Tigers advantage. But following the 100 Back and another lights out race in the 100 Breaststroke, which featured an untapered best and two personal best swims, the meet was tied 78 all!
The winner of the last event would be the winner of the meet. As the 400 Free Relays dove in, it was tight race for the first 200 yards, but then the Rails pulled away winning in a 3:42.46, a 10 second victory!
Final score: Rails 88, Tigers 82!
“This win feels particularly nice. Not only is it our first win of the season, it was made possible by the guys overcoming adversity. We might not have the largest squad. We might have guys out with injury. But this team proved that doesn’t matter,” said Coach Weber following the meet. “They stared down some unfortunate circumstances and came out the other side stronger, faster and more confident than before. No doubt that will serve us well during conference play and championship season.”
There were several great swims from last night, improving on SE Polk’s impressive times. While we can’t recognize everyone, here’s a few highlights:
- Tyler Skalicky dropped over 4 seconds in the 200 Free to a 2:07.57 (PB time!)
- He also had a personal best in the 500 Free – 6:06.91
- Shaun Slycord raced to a personal best 200 IM – 2:11.61, a drop of 2+ seconds
- He also had an untapered best in the 100 Breaststroke – 1:09.10
- Javier Santiago swam a season best 100 Fly – 56.48
- Keylan Irvin swam a 1:20.62 100 Fly (PB time!)
- And Nicolas Filippelli finished just behind him with 1:20.64!
- Noah Schumacher swam a personal best in the 100 Breaststroke – 1:11.56
- Keaton Basinger dropped almost 3 seconds to a personal best 100 Breaststroke time – 1:17.77
Below are few photos from the meet. Upload your own to the team’s photo website. Log-in required.