The Rails had a double meet week just after the Thanksgiving holiday. They hosted Valley at home at Tuesday (11/27) and traveled to SE Polk Thursday (11/29).
Rails vs. Valley
Valley was a chance to see some of the best competition in the state and the score reflected that impressive squad – a 122-47 loss. However, it was a great chance for some of the Rails state hopefuls to race against their qualifying competition early in the season.
The biggest highlight of the night was Reid May earning his Sub :60 shirt!!
Rails vs. SE Polk
Meanwhile against SE Polk, the Rails had a really good meet, despite the fact SEP won the meet 99-71.
The guys won 5 of 11 events, which is particularly important for the team’s season goals. But most exciting, was the “bests” swam at the meet. At least, 20 varsity races were a season best, untapered best or personal best times!
“While it’s disappointing to walk away with the loss, it was encouraging to see the guys swim as well as they did. Overall, they looked better than they did just a couple days ago vs. Valley,” said Coach Weber. “That’s the trend we want this season. Faster. Stronger. Each consecutive meet.”
While we can’t recognize everyone, here’s just a few highlights!
- Konnor Klocke won the 200 Free in a 1:56.63 (season best)
- Gabe McCollough swam a 2:02.82 (season best)
- Shaun Slycord won the 200 IM in a personal best 2:14.30 (personal best!)
- Keaton Basinger raced to a 2:34.20 (personal best!)
- Nicolas Filippelli raced to a 2:46.56 (untapered best)
- Will Bennett won the 50 Free in 23.45 (untapered best)
- Logan Neifert swam a 24.48 (season best)
- Javier Santiago won the 100 Fly in 57.14 (season best)
- Konnor Klocke raced to a 1:01.89 (season best)
- Keylan Irvin raced to a 1:23.26 (season best)
- Will Bennett raced to a 52.11 in the 100 Free (season best)
- Logan Neifert swam a 54.57 (season best)
- Trystan Thomas’s 500 Free was a 5:59.94 (personal best!)
- Tyler Skalicky swam a 6:13.62 (personal best!)
- Javier Santiago won the 100 Back in 57.29 (season best)
- Derek Webster swam a 1:08.35 (personal best!)
- Nicolas Filippelli swam a 1:21.25 (season best)
- Shaun Slycord raced to a 1:09.76 (season best)
- Noah Schumacher raced to a 1:12.26 (personal best by over 9 seconds!)
- 400 Free Relay (Klocke, McCollough, Santiago, Bennett) raced to a 3:35.92 (season best)
- Konnor Klocke swam a 53.62 (season best) as the lead-off
Below are just a few photos from both meets. Upload your own to the team’s Shutterfly photo website (log-in required) to share with other families and for future articles, programs and social media.