The high school girls traveled to East High School on Tuesday (10/9) for their last dual meet of the year. With a victory, the girls would be crowned regular-season conference champions for the second straight year so they were in it to win it! But it wasn’t without some excitement!
From the first sound of the horn, the Rails jumped out to a lead. The medley relay (Mangin, Dooley, Zaugg, Douds) won in 1:58.73. But the team didn’t stop there. There was even a tie for 2nd in the 200 Free! From JV to Varsity, the team wanted to end the regular season strong. In the JV 50 Free, the Rails took top 3 honors, along with the top spot in several other events. Varsity swimmers raced to their own top three finishes in the 100 Fly and five other events! From there, the meet made some history for different reason. For the first time ever, the team had to shelter during a tornado warning! With a brief break in the weather, the meet was called early ending with the last three events un-swam.
None-the-less, the Rails won in a dominating performance, 99-25!
“The team was here to make school history. Again,” said Coach Weber after the meet. “They’ve never repeated as regular-season conference champions but that ends with tonight’s victory. This team has been working together for years to achieve their goals. And it shows. After all, tonight is only the third time ever that the girls have swam their way to a conference title. Now – they want to repeat as conference meet champions too.”
- Rails won all 8 events that were swam
- In fact, Rails took top three honors in 4 of 6 individual varsity events!
- JV Rails swimmers won all their events
- Many events had the Rails earning multiple top spots
- 150th win under Coach Weber (combined women’s/men’s)
- Win 99 on just the women’s side
- 2nd straight regular-season conference title
Below are few highlights from the meet. All conference girls are in the midst of their taper, so look for big swims at the conference meet next Tuesday (10/16).
- Ellie Sizemore won the 200 Free in 2:12.58
- Grace Crady tied for 2nd (2:14.78)
- Ripley Berg took 4th (2:14.99)
- Torin Lackmann won the 200 IM in 2:29.25
- Emma Chase took 2nd (2:33.77)
- Courtney Meyer took 3rd (2:36.86)
- Ali Poli won the JV 50 Free in 28.80
- Mallory Albright took 2nd (29.49)
- Jordan Toelle took 3rd (33.87)
- Anika Snow won the 50 Free in 25.99
- Aubrey Douds took 2nd (26.24)
- Cat Dooley took 3rd (26.94)
- Aubrey Douds won the 100 Fly in 1:02.42
- Ava Zaugg took 2nd (1:04.86)
- Lauren Benson took 3rd (1:06.21)
- Anika Snow won the 100 Free in 58.47
- Kalani Mangin took 2nd (1:02.07)
- Ripley Berg took 3rd (1:02.16)
- Ellie Sizemore won the 500 Free in 5:48.77
- Grace Crady took 2nd (5:57.89)
- Courtney Meyer took 4th (6:12.89)
- 200 Sprint Relay (Snow, Douds, Zaugg, Poli) won in 1:47.74
Below are few photos from the meet. Check out more on the team’s photo website. A log-in is required.