The Rails traveled to the Marshalltown Bobcat Swim/Dive Invite for the first time on Saturday, Sept. 15th. There they squared off with another suburban powerhouse, Johnston, and came home with the win! In total seven teams raced for medals, bragging rights and q-times for State.
Diving started out the morning with seven quality divers showcasing their talent on the board. In the end, it was close meet with less than 5 points separating 1st and 3rd! Chloe Pearson dove her second best score ever – 421.10 and took third overall. Swimming kicked off with the Rails winning the 200 Medley Relay over Atlantic by less than a second. From there, the Rails took spots in the top 12 in every race! That was an important achievement for the team because the scoring at the invite was through 12 places for all individual events.
“Another goal reached,” said Coach Weber following the meet. “I told the team that I added this meet to our schedule to give us the opportunity to race against great teams like Johnston and Atlantic, which are teams we don’t normally see during the regular season. The plan was to have the team face new challenges in the water. And I believe we met, and conquered, those challenges today.”
Final Team Scores
- Rails – 335
- Johnson – 299
- Atlantic – 241
- Boone – 131
- Indianola – 120
- Marshalltown – 119
- Ottumwa – 45
Rails Meet Stats
- Won five events
- Had 15 other places in the top 6
- Had five best times
- Had all 24 individual entries place in the top 12 and earn points for the team
Below are few highlights from the meet.
- Ripley Berg swam a personal best time in the 200 Free – 2:09.58
- Aubrey Douds won the 200 IM in a personal best time of 2:20.63
- Anika Snow won the 50 Free in 26.24
- Chloe Marquis won the 100 Fly 1:01.89
- Kalani Mangin swam a season-best time in the 100 Free – 59.83
- Ellie Sizemore’s 5:36.83 500 Free was an untapered best time and earned her second place
- Torin Lackmann won the 100 Breaststroke in 1:12.37
- Cat Dooley came in second with her 1:13.84
- Emma Chase raced to an untapered best 1:19.54
Here’s a few photos of the meet. Feel free to add your own photos to the team’s photo website! Log-in is required.