The Rails headed to SE Polk High School on Tuesday (9/11) to compete against the Rams and the Ames Cyclones (who as added to the meet in August) for their only double dual meet of the year. There, they had dominating performance against SE Polk, winning 79-23. However, as favorites to win the State meet, Ames’ squad proved to be more of challenge. Despite some great races, the Rails end up losing 22-80.
“While adding Ames to the schedule meant we had their first loss of the season, it was a great strategic decision for us. Competitive meets serve to the make the team better. The girls are pushed to race hard, while working on proper swimming form. And while the team ended the night 1-1, we – as a team – had a great night.” said Coach Weber.
How Double Duals Work
Double dual meets work different than normal meets. There are three teams (A, B, and C) in attendance, but the teams are not competing against all three of each other at the same time. That would be a triangle meet. Instead in double dual – teams A and B compete for a final score, as does A and C, and B and C. That means at the end of the night, there are three final meet scores, not just one.
Scoring for individual events is 4-3-1 and for relays is 6-4-1.
Below are few meet highlights from the double dual against SE Polk.
- Medley Relay of (Marquis, Lackmann, Zaugg, Douds) swam a 1:54.20! That’s over three seconds faster than last year’s seed time at Regionals
- Torin Lackmann (2:24.34) and Ava Zaugg (2:24.90) both had season-best 200 IM items
- Four Rails JV swimmers (Albright, Groos, Zeitvogel and Ward) were under 30 seconds in the 50 Free
- Anika Snow and Aubrey Douds finished the Varsity 50 Free .01 of a second apart! 25.91 and 25.92, respectively.
- Ella Worth had a new personal best 100 Fly time of 1:07.15
- Chloe Marquis’ 1:01.34 earned her first place overall (against both SEP and Ames)
- Courtney Meyer raced to a 1:11.60 in her 100 Back
- Tessa Orput had a season-best 100 Breaststroke time – 1:20.03
- Torin Lackmann took first overall in the 100 Breaststroke with her time of 1:11.72
Here a few photos from the meet. Feel free to add your own to the team’s photo website. A log-in is required.