The Rails vs. Carroll rivalry has always been exciting. The 2018 meet proved to be no different! The Rails traveled to the Carroll Recreation Center on Thursday, Sept. 6th for their third dual meet of the season. And the team left 3-0 after a 98-87 victory!
The meet started out with the Rails winning diving by 8 points. But Carroll rebounded by winning the Medley Relay, taking a three point lead over the Rails. After the next three events (200 Free, 200 IM and 50 Free) the Rails battled back to hold a slim lead – 40 to 37. Over the next couple of events, the Rails were maintained their three point lead 56-53, following the 100 Free. Up next was a big 500 race where the Rails took 1st, 2nd and 3rd to stretch the point gap to 69-56! But the Tigers weren’t ready to give up. After a couple more rollercoaster events, the Rails held an 88-83 lead over Carroll heading into the 400 Free Relay. The score spread meant the Rails had two paths to the “W”, winning the relay or taking 2nd and 3rd. The Rails won the relay (and took 3rd) ending the evening 98-87.
“Carroll is a star-studded team and they won a lot of events tonight. But ultimately our depth prevailed. It wasn’t just our top girls that did their job tonight, everyone did. Without each person’s contributions, the team isn’t coming home with another win under their belt. And after a meet with so much back and forth, this one was a great moment for the team, said Head Coach Brayton Weber.”
The team has a packed schedule for the next couple weeks, including three meets next week (Tues/Thur/Sat)! Come on out and cheer on the Rails!
Below are few meet highlights from Carroll.
- Rails take 1st and 2nd in the 200 Free
- Ellie Sizemore won in 2:10.52
- Ripley Berg took 2nd in 2:12.02
- Rails had two untapered best 200 IM times
- Ava Zaugg’s 2:25.62 (2nd place)
- Torin Lackmann’s 2:26.19 (3rd place)
- Ali Poli won the JV 50 Free in 27.85
- Rails also took 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th!
- Chloe Marquis took 2nd in the 100 Fly in a 1:01.59, less than a second shy of the 100 Fly Q-Time
- Ella Worth had an untapered best in the 100 Fly – 1:07.17
- Aubrey Douds swam a 56.78 in the 100 Free, an personal best, and took 2nd
- 500 Free was a big event with the Rails:
- Ellie Sizemore won in 5:50.77
- Grace Crady took second in 6:00.29
- Josie Helm took third with 6:01.13
- Brianna Neifert swam her 100 Back in 1:10.05
- Torin Lackmann swam an untapered best 100 Breaststroke (1:11.67) and took 2nd
- 400 Free Relay (Marquis, Mangin, L. Benson, Snow) won the 400 Free Relay in 3:58.64
- Lauren Benson earned her Sub :60 t-shirt!
Below are few photos from this exciting meet. You can add more to the team’s photo website anytime! A log-in is required.