Districts. The meet where the chance to swim at State is on the line. The culmination of the entire season.
Saturday, Feb. 3, teams across the state were racing at six district sites to compete for 24 state spots in each event. The Rails earned spots in the 50 Free, 100 Fly, 200 Free Relay, 100 Back and 400 Relay!
The meet started off great with a season-best time in the medley relay. From there, the guys saw 100% time drops, which testament to their off-season work and in-season training. The guys set six new Top 5 All-Time records, including three new school records. And in the deepest district in the state, they still appeared on the podium five times.
Below are some highlights from the meet. Congratulations to everyone!
- Medley Relay (Santiago, Slycord, Klocke, Neifert) dropped to a season-best time of 1:42.71
- Shaun Slycord split the second fastest 50 Breaststroke in Coach Weber’s tenure
- 200 Free
- Gabe McCollough finished 12th with his 1:56.60
- Miguel Espinoza finished 14th with a 1:57.43
- Nick Worthington dropped to a 2:01.75
- In the 200 IM, Shaun Slycord was 16th with his drop to 2:13.45
- 50 Free
- Brayden Clark dropped to 22.09, took 8th overall and is third all-time
- Will Bennett took 15th with his 22.83
- Logan Neifert took 16th in a 22.85
- In the 100 Fly, Javier Santiago took 6th overall and set a new school record with 54.33
- In the 100 Free:
- Brayden Clark also took 8th in the 100 Free with 49.07 and his second all-time
- Konnor Klocke finished 12th overall with his first 50 point 100 Free – 50.26
- In the 500 Free:
- Gabe McCollough moved up to 11th overall with a 5:18.83!
- Miguel Espinoza finished 12th with a 5:19.24!
- Nick Worthington dropped to a 5:42.70
- 200 Free Relay (Clark, Bennett, Klocke, Neifert) raced to a 1:30.27 and broke the school record
- In the 100 Back:
- Javier Santiago raced to 6th place overall with a 54.68 and is second all-time
- Griffin McCollough dropped to a 1:03.71
- In the 100 Breaststroke, Shaun Slycord raced to a personal best 1:08.63 and took 16th overall
- 400 Free Relay (Klocke, Clark, Bennett, Santiago) raced to 4th overall and broke the school record with their 3:19.49!
Here’s some photos rom the meet. You can check the photo website for over 500 more photos.