The men’s swimmers raced against another conference opponent on Thursday (12/14) – the Scarlets of East High School. The meet was a close one, coming down to the last laps in the last event! But in the end, the guys came away with the victory – 86 to 84.
East started out with a strong, finishing first and third in the medley relay to take a 10-4 lead over the Rails. But the guys hung strong, finishing 1st, 3rd and 5th in the 200 Free. After a big 50 Free by the Rails, the score was 33-29. From there, the team pressed their advantage to a 61-49 lead after the 500 Free, knowing East would have a strong showing in the last four events. The Scarlets did, going on to win the next three events, which set up a showdown for the final relay. The Rails opted to split their relays, switching two guys from the “A” relay with two guys from the “B” relay. Doing so helped the team lock up second and third place, ensuring the win for the Rails!
“It was a close one. Just like last year’s meet,” said Coach Weber. “That’s the thing about the Scarlet men’s swimmers, and all conference rivals in fact, each team wants to win immensely. That desire to win results in personal best times by athletes on both sides and it also makes for a great meet for the fans. I’m very proud of our guys. They believed they could get the job done, despite missing a few guys from our roster. And they did, in a great meet at home.”
- Miguel Espinoza won the 200 Free in a 2:00.28, an untapered best time
- Shaun Slycord swam the 200 IM in an personal best, 2:22.78
- Trysten Thomas took second in the 50 Free with his fastest time, 27.03
- Plus – Konnor Klocke winning the event AND
- Keaton Basinger taking 5th place, earning the team a much-needed two points spread!
- Javier Santiago won the 100 Fly in a personal best, 58.48
- Will Bennett’s 100 Free time of 52.43 was his fastest ever and he won the event
- Miguel Espinoza also won the 500 Free in an untapered best time, 5:27.66
- While Gabe McCollough finished third in an untapered best time of 5:51.05
- Griffin McCollough took 2nd in the 100 Back with a 1:05.76, an untapered best
- Derek Webster had a great 100 Back time of 1:10.54