The Rails middle school girls team is made up of 7th and 8th graders from the Southside of Des Moines, Norwalk and Carlisle. Middle school swimming is a short 4 week season designed to give swimmers a chance to compete against other middle schoolers from around the metro. It also allows for new swimmers to see if they like competitive swimming and want to pursue it has a high school sport in the future.
The current squad of middle school girls has many long-time SDMS swimmers on the squad. As such, they are prepared to be very competitive against every team they face. Last night’s meet against Hoover was no exception. The Rails won every race but one and finished with multiple girls in the top six in every event!
Below are a few meet highlights from the meet.
- Rails Medley Relay (Neifert, Berg, Benson, Douds) won in 2:07.93
- Aubrey Douds, 8th grade, won the 50 Free in 27.53
- Lauren Benson, 8th grade, took 2nd in 29.25
- Ripley Berg, 8th grade, took 3rd in 29.64
- Brianna Neifert, 8th grade, won the 50 Back in 33.45
- Tori Dudley, 7th grade, took 2nd in 37.28
- Joselyn Dowling, 7th grade, took 3rd in 43.76
- Aubrey Douds won the 100 Free in 1:01.45
- Brianna Neifert took 2nd in 1:06.75
- Ripley Berg took 3rd in 1:07.42
- Lauren Benson won the 50 Fly in 31.35
- Mallory Albright, 8th grade, took 2nd with 35.41
- Jordan Toelle, 8th grade, took 3rd with 47.37
- Sydney Whitlatch, 8th grade, took 2nd in the 50 Breaststroke with 44.92
- Rails Sprint Relay (Benson, Neifert, Berg, Douds) took won in 1:59.68
Here are a few photos from the meet. If you’d like to share additional photos, you can send them to Coach Weber or tag us in social media using Rails Swimming on Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram.