The Rails hosted their 20th Lincoln Invite on Saturday (9/23)! The invite now includes 7 teams total, Boone, Carroll, CB Abraham Lincoln, CR Washington, East, Indianola, and Lincoln. Over the last several seasons, this invite has grown to be very competitive, providing great races for all who attend. This year proved to be no different with four teams in the top 25 in the power ranking standings!
But equally important as the swimming was the community support for Susan G. Komen of Iowa. “This meet is great because it’s super energetic. And it important to me personally because of my mom’s friend, Lisa Roberts, who is a breast cancer survivor,” said Cat Dooley, sophomore. Fans turned out in big numbers to buy t-shirts, pink apparel, and programs. The net profits from those sales will be donated to support breast cancer treatments and research. Lincoln Activities also donated a portion of the gate admissions from the day!
“This meet is always a special one to our team,” said Coach Weber. “And it’s not just because it’s our home invite. It’s important because people on our team have been directly impacted by this disease. Families from other teams that attend have been impacted. Families everywhere around our state have been. That’s why we give all the swimmers the special cap to where during the meet. It shows our unity in the fight against breast cancer, even while we race against each other in the water.”
Overall, the Rails had a good day in the water! The best another “wall meet” score moving up from last years 5th place finish to this year’s 2nd place finish!
Cedar Rapids Washington – 597.5
Lincoln – 486
Carroll – 401
Indianola – 312.5
Boone – 293
East – 112
Council Bluffs AL/SA/TJ – 31
While we can’t recognize everyone, below are some highlights from the meet.
- Jolynn Harris started the meet out well, earning first place and setting the LHS Invite dive record (482.40)
- Medley Relay (Marquis, Dooley, Zaugg, Snow) dropped time to a new season-best 1:57.01
- Cat Dooley split her fastest breaststroke 50 ever – 32.92
- Ellie Sizemore swam a personal best 200 Free – 2:08.11 and took third overall
- Ava Zaugg took third overall with her 2:26.89 200 IM swim
- Anika Snow took third overall in the 50 Free with a 26.55
- Cat Dooley took fourth with a season-best 26.87
- Chloe Marquis took second overall in the 100 Fly with her time – 1:02.10
- Anika Snow earned fourth overall in the 100 Free with a 58.10!
- Kalani Mangin took 10th with a season-best 1:00.98
- Ellie Sizemore earned another third place in the 500 Free – 5:46.43
- Grace Crady took fourth with a 5:56.80
- Josie Helm swam a personal best – 6:15.65 and took 9th overall
- Courtney Meyer swam a personal best 100 Back – 1:10.79 and took 10th overall
- Cat Dooley took 4th overall with her 1:14.09 100 Breaststroke time
Below are few photos from the meet. More can be viewed on the team’s photo website (link in the upper right corner).