The Rails traveled to the Indianola YMCA on Thursday (9/14) for one of their biggest meets of the season. Indianola had topped the Rails two straight season, including last year’s loss of 111-72. This year, the girls were looking to turn the tide. And they did in an almost exact score reversal, winning 112-71.
The meet started out with a race for the medley relay! Both teams were fully loaded for the event and it came down to the last few hundredths of a second. The Rails won 1:58.08 to 1:58.31! After that, the Rails kept up the pressure winning 8 of the remaining 11 events. In addition to numerous first places, the Rails depth shined with several second and third places as well.
“This team continues to impress,” said Coach Brayton Weber. “They work together as a unit, relying on each other in their pursuit of victory. These girls seem to truly understand that in swimming, no one person can swim a team to victory, it takes everyone doing their part. We’ve explained that winning a race nets six points for the team. But winning an event takes at least nine. Without the girls training in the off-season and working in practice now, they wouldn’t be 5-1.”
After two straight double meet weeks, the girls earned a well-deserved “mental health day” on Friday (9/15). Saturday, the team returned to practice and turn their attention to the next three meets – which take place over the course of seven days! Up first is the team’s next conference opponent – East.
While we can’t recognize everyone, below are some meet highlights.
- Medley Relay (Marquis, Dooley, Zaugg, and Snow) won an exciting race!
- Ellie Sizemore won the 200 Free in 2:10.46 and the 500 Free in 5:45.56
- Grace Crady took 2nd in 2:11.79 and the 500 Free in 5:56.94
- Ava Zaugg won the 200 IM in a 2:28.70
- Torin Lackmann took 2nd in a 2:31.29 (PB time!)
- Emma Chase swam a personal best 50 Free 29.74, winning the JV event!
- Chloe Pearson won diving with a season best score – 220.40
- Katelynn Vasey dove a personal best 161.75
- Ella Worth swam an untapered best 100 Fly – 1:09.82, just off her best time of 1:09.49
- Lanchi Nguyen swam a personal best 100 Free time – 1:05.67
- Rails won the 200 Free Relay (Snow, Poli, Zaugg, Dooely) in a 1:47.02
- Chloe Marquis, Kalani Mangin and Courtney Meyer all hovered near their season-best times in the 100 Back, taking 2nd, 4th and 5th respectively.
- Tessa Orput swam a personal best 100 Breaststroke in 1:21.42
- Cat Dooley won the 100 Breaststroke in 1:13.06
- Torin Lackmann took 2nd in a 1:15.37
- 400 Free Relay (Sizemore, Dooley, Crady, Marquis) took 2nd in a season-best time 3:57.50
Below are few photos from the meet. For high resolution version and 50+ more photos, head to the team’s photo website.