The Rails had their home opener swim meet on Thursday (8/24) against Boone. The meet started out with a very exciting 200 Medley Relay, with the Rails winning the event by just .01 of a second! After several exciting races, including a new school record being set in the 100 Fly, the Rails came out on top. The girls won 123.5 to 59.5. This victory to start out the season was especially rewarding since the Rails lost a close one last year vs. Boone, 47-55 (double-dual format).
This year’s team trained extensively in the off-season. Doing so allowed several personal best and untapered best times to be swam last night! “The team is a young squad, mostly made up of freshmen and sophomores,” said Head Coach Brayton Weber. “This meet was a great one for the team as they got the chance to race a long-time rival, who we lost to just last year. The meet showed the girls that their hard work paid off, but it also highlighted some areas that we can improve before facing SE Polk.”
The team’s power ranking showed their overall improved as well, ending 205 points better than last year after this same meet.
While we can’t recognize everyone, below are some great swims from the meet:
- 200 medley relay (Worth, Dooley, Marquis, Snow) swam a 2:00.07 (1.5 seconds faster than last year)
- Grace Crady swam an untapered best in the 200 free, 2:10.90
- Mariah Baenisch swam a person best time, 31.80, in the 50 Free
- Chloe Marquis set a new 100 Fly school record with her time 1:01.38, taking down a record from 1986!
- Ellie Sizemore swam a personal best 500 free with her time of 5:53.69
- Haley Allen swam her 100 back in 1:14.77
- Catherine Dooley’s 1:13.09 100 Breaststroke time was an untapered best
- 400 free relay (Snow, Crady, Mangin, Zaugg) swam a 4:01.55 (2 seconds faster than last year)
- Anika Snow and Ava Zaugg earned their Sub :60 shirts!
Below are a few photos from the meet. More can be found on the photo website (link located in the top right). Log-in required. If you don’t have access but believe you should, you can request access from the homepage of the Shutterfly website.