The Rails swimmers faced off against long-time powerhouse the Roosevelt Rough Riders on Tuesday (9/27). Lincoln girls swimming has only beaten Roosevelt one time in school history – 10 years ago. This year’s squad set a big goal of trying to do it again but came up just a little short.
It was a wild meet with four girls miscounting the 200 Free, several personal bests for swimmers and divers, and even a tie race.
“Despite the fact we didn’t win tonight, our girls worked hard to prepare and swam some fast times. Roosevelt was equally prepared, dropping significant time in most of their races which led to their win,” said Coach Brayton Weber. “Honestly though, I’m proud of my team. Last year we lost by 46. So to only lose by 21 points just a year later is a huge improvement. And it definitely has our girls excited about next year.”
While we can’t recognize everyone, below are few highlights from the meet.
- The “B” medley relay (Mangin, Whipple, Hoefler, Poli) had the fastest “B” medley time in over 12 years – 2:07.94!
- Cat Dooley’s 200 IM time of 2:28.08 (-3.75 seconds) was a personal best!
- Three divers had new personal best scores for a six dive meet:
- Chloe Pearson – 224.0
- Katelynn Vasey – 151.55
- Maddie Dowling – 140.15
- Erica Benson’s 50 Free was her fastest, a 28.22
- Lanchi Nguyen swam her fastest 100 Free – a 1:08.68
- Alexis Trucano swam the 500 Free in 6:03.63, a personal best
- Taylor Whipple’s 100 Breaststroke time of 1:21.48 was an untapered best
- Keara Schmitt’s split in the 400 Free Relay was a best time of 1:04.91
- Ali Poli’s split was also a best time, 1:04.57
Below are a few photos from the meet. All 279 photos can be viewed on the team’s photo website.