The Rails hosted their annual LHS Invite, known as Pink in the Pool on Saturday (9/24). This invite includes 7 teams total, Boone, Carroll, CB Abraham Lincoln, CR Washington, East, Indianola, and Lincoln. Over the last several seasons, this invite has grown to be very competitive, providing great races for all who attend. This year proved to be no different with four teams in the top 25 in the power ranking standings!
But equally important as the swimming was the community support for Susan G. Komen of Iowa. Fans turned out in big numbers to buy t-shirts, pink apparel, and programs. The net profits from those sales will be donated to support breast cancer treatments and research. Lincoln Activities also donated the gate admissions from the day!
“This meet is important to our team,” said Coach Weber. “But not because of the swimming or diving. It’s important because people on our team have been directly impacted by this disease. As have families across our state. That’s why we give swim caps to all the swimmers competing. To show our unity in the fight against breast cancer, even while we race against each other in the water.”
Overall, the Rails had a good day in the water with most girls holding their season times, or even swimming a little faster.
Cedar Rapids Washington – 504.5
Indianola – 435.5
Boone – 384
Carroll – 328
Lincoln – 322
East – 189
Council Bluffs AL/SA/TJ – 129
While we can’t recognize everyone, below are some highlights from the meet.
- Chloe Pearson dove her best 11 dive meet finishing in second place with a 347.80
- Alexis Trucano swam a season best in the 200 Free – 2:13.79
- Sara Bennett won the 100 Free in a 58.16 earning a gold medal!
- Jessica Warrell had a season best time of 6:40.40 in the 500 Free
- Grace Crady returned to a sub 6:00 minute 500 Free with her 5:58.52 time
- Haley Allen’s 1:13.27 100 Back time is a personal best!
- Kalani Mangin also had a great 100 Back time of 1:09.52
- Cat Dooley moved up from an earlier heat to take 4th overall with her season best time of 1:14.82
- The 400 Free Relay (Trucano, Crady, Dooley, Bennett)returned to a 3:58 for only the second time this season.
Below are few photos from the meet. More can be viewed on the team’s photo website (link in the upper right corner).