The Rails faced their first conference opponent on Tuesday, Sept. 13th, the Ottumwa Bulldogs. The girls put on a dominating performance winning the meet 114-58, despite having difficult practices leading into the meet.
The team is now 1-0 against conference opponents with East on Tuesday the 20th. Their overall record is 3-3.
Below are just a few highlights from the meet. While most times were not a season best (or any other “best”), the team swam well for being tired. This midpoint of the season is when the athletes are frequently exhausted from the early morning and late afternoons. You can view full results on Meet Mobile or on Quikstats.
- The Medley Relay (Worth, Dooley, Benson, Bennett) swam a 2:05.17 and took first place
- Kalani Mangin took first in the 200 Free with a 2:22.50
- Jessica Warrell took third with a 2:33.11
- Diana Ward won the JV 50 Free with a 30.67
- Lanchi Nguyen took second with 31.59
- Grace Crady swam a nice 50 Free in 28.47
- Chloe Pearson dove her best 6 dive score yet – 219.60
- Erica Benson swam a 1:09.93 100 Fly and earned first place
- Kalani Mangin swam to another first place in the 500 Free with 6:21.56
- Summer Struve won the JV 100 Breaststroke in 1:32.05
- Chloe Dougherty took 2nd with 1:35.34
- 400 Free Relay of (Benson, Dooley, Crady, Bennett) took first with their 4:05.44
Below are just a handful of photos from this meet. Check them all out online on the photo website (link in the upper corner).
Save the Date | Big Meets Coming Soon
The Rails have been preparing for two big meets within just a few days of each other for the last two weeks. This preparation has led to difficult practices which is why the times weren’t continuing a downward trend. Please know this is normal.
Pink in the Pool Invite | September 24: The first big meet is the LHS Invite. Be sure to read more about the meet here. We tend to obtain many of our regional seeds at this meet and it is a Varsity only invite filled with great diving and fast swimming.
Lincoln vs. Roosevelt | September 27: This epic showdown is always an exciting meet with both teams out to win. The Rails have only beaten the Riders one time in school history (girls) and that was exactly 10 seasons ago. This meet is our first GOLD OUT meet so be sure to wear your new gold shirts! The winner of the meet will be the regular season metro conference champion. We hope to make a little history that night!