The Rails traveled to the Ankeny YMCA to face the combined Ankeny team on Tuesday, August 30th. This meet wasn’t about the final score for the Rails since the team knew a victory against Ankeny, who finished 7th last year in the power rankings, was unlikely. But it was about using the strong competition to push themselves for better times as the Rails gear up for two close meets next week.
“The competition paid off,” said Coach Brayton Weber. “The team knew we were here to improve on our current times. And while this is true for every meet, it’s not always easy if we’re only racing each other. Against Ankeny, that’s not a problem. Everyone swimming was ready to race. A great setup for seeing where we stand going into next week’s meets.”
The team has 10+ best swims*. “Even though we didn’t win. Our team did really well doing the best they can personally while setting many of our best times. I got a new best in my 100 Back so it was a good night!” said junior Haley Allen, who set an untapered best in her 100 Back.
Below are a few highlights from the meet.
- The Medley Relay of (Worth, Whipple, Benson, Poli) swam a respectable 2:07.07
- Marnie Hoefler had a season best time of 2:24.48 in her 200 Free
- Sara Bennett’s 500 Free time of 5:33.25 puts her 2nd All-Time in Rails Swimming history!
- Kalani Mangin swam a personal best 100 Backstroke time – 1:10.20
- Haley Allen’s 100 Back swim neared last year’s regionals time for a new untapered best – 1:14.99
- Cat Dooley’s 1:15.65 was a season best 100 Breaststroke time
- The 400 Free Relay (Bennett, Crady, Trucano, Dooley) went 3 seconds fast than last week, now a 4:00.84
Here are a few photos from the meet. If you’d like to see all 265 photos, please log-in to the team’s photo website.
Note on terms:
Untapered Best: A best time, excluding a regional meet when the swimmer is fully tapered
Season Best: A best time for this season so far
Personal/Lifetime Best: The best time swam in that event for that swimmer, ever.