Several Rails swimmers traveled to the big Midwest Regional swim meet held in Minneapolis, MN over the weekend (4/8-4/3) as part of the SDMS Seahawk club swim team. They helped the team finish in the top 10 for the first time! South DM Swimming earned 836 points and finished 9th of 76 registered teams from nine states (a meet record). That’s 283 points (and 4 places) better than SDMS’s 2015 finish!
Local Team Comparison
Over the last few seasons, more and more local swim clubs from Des Moines have started attending Midwest Regionals too. Here’s how the Seahawks compared to other Des Moines metro teams.
South DM Swimming (SDMS): 836 points
East Swim Team: 471 points
Northside Otters (NSST): 229 points
Rams Swim Club: 134 points
SDMS Team Highlights
Below are a few general team highlights from the meet:
- 22 Top 6 finishes (with 38 Top 10 finishes total)
- 108.57 seconds were dropped at the meet
- 19 individuals scored points (not counting relays), up from 8 individual scorers in 2015
- Two relays took first place overall (a team first for Midwest Regionals)
- 25 SDMS team records were broken, several by the high school swimmers!
With such great swims both days, we can’t recognize everyone Here’s just a few highlights:
- Catherine Dooley (incoming 9th grader) took 14th overall in her 13-14 100 Breaststroke and dropped to a 1:15.55 (-2.20 seconds)
- Davide Pacini swam the 15-18 100 Free in a 51.01 (-2.97 seconds) and took 8th overall
- Sara Bennett had personal best times in the 200 Free [2:06.71 (-1 second)] and 500 Free [5:35.70 (-2.51 seconds)] and took 3rd overall in the 500.
- Devin Greenwood’s 15-18 100 Back was a 1:00.58 and took 9th overall and his 100 Free was a 53.49 (-2.05 seconds)
- Javier Santiago dropped time in all four of his events and took first on the SDMS team with a individual point total of 53 points!
- 200 Medley Relay (Greenwood, Clark, Worth, Belden) won their event (a first for SDMS!) in 1:47.76
- 200 Free Relay (Pacini, Worth, Greenwood, Belden) also won their event in 1:33.43!
Check out some photos from the meet here!
With great swims out of so many current and future Rails swimmers, southside swimming is definitely on the road to great things!