The Rails hosted the Metro Conference Meet on Saturday (1/23). This meet is an exciting one since it’s the last meet for any swimmer who isn’t in the District line-up. In other words, the majority of swimmers are fully tapered and ready to race! Swimmers also have the chance to earn medals for overall varsity finishes and bragging rights for their team’s final placing.
The day began with a close medley relay with the top three teams all in the 1:45s. The Rails beat third place by .03 of second to win the silver medal! And after a ton of equally exciting races, the meet ended with the Rails earning their highest power ranking of the season so far! Plus – three Rails (Sam Whitlatch, Domenic Gardner, Zach Froehlich) earned their sub :60 shirts!
Final Team Scores
Roosevelt Roughriders – 487
Lincoln Rails – 362
East Scarlets – 340
Indianola Indians – 280
Ottumwa Bulldogs – 213
Hoover/North – 97
This meet always produces a TON of highlights because we try to recognize the awesome (and fully tapered) swims by all who are not swimming at Districts. Plus – we like to showcase any Varsity podium appearances too. Though it’s a bit long, please enjoy! Great job to all!
- Medley Relay (Greenwood, Whitehead, Worth, Belden) swam their fastest time of the season – 1:45.30 and took 2nd overall (Varsity)
- Medley Relay (Grif. McCollough, Whitlatch, Virden, Froehlich) dropped almost a second and took 6th overall (JV)
- Lean Urias won the JV 200 Free with his personal best 2:09.38 (-6.61 seconds)
- Caleb Meyer took 2nd with his best time, a 2:10.97 (-7.69 seconds)
- Tyler Skalicky took 5th with his personal best time, 2:35.98 (-1.51 seconds)
- Davide Pacini and Miguel Espinoza were 4th and 6th respectively in the Varsity 200 Free
- Javier Santiago had his fastest 200 IM time of the season, 2:21.00 (-1.47 seconds), and took 6th overall
- 11 guys swam the JV 50 Free and 10 of them dropped time in the event! Some by multiple seconds of their seed times with the range being 11+ seconds to .48 of second.
- Devin Greenwood took 5th overall in the Varsity 50 Free
- Domenic Gardner took 2nd in the JV 100 Fly with his best time of 1:12.24 (-3.14 seconds)
- Cooper Worth took 4th in the Varsity 100 Fly
- 5 guys swam the JV 100 Free! ALL dropped time:
- Zach Froehlich took 2nd and earned his sub :60 shirt with his 58.90 (-2.68 seconds)
- Keylan Irvin took 6th and swam a 1:01.54 (-2.48 seconds)
- Joey Loiocomo swam a 1:02. 55 (-.36 of second)
- Christian Thongvanh swam a 1:17.97 (-1.04 seconds)
- Antony Mendoza swam a 1:27.62 (-1.69 seconds)
- Christian Belden (2nd), Davide Pacini (4th) and Brayden Clark (8th) made three Rails in the top 10 for the Varsity 100 Free
- Leon Urias swam a 5:49.06 JV 500 Free (-9.70 seconds!)
- Miguel Espinoza dropped to an new season best time of 5:35.41 (-1.64 seconds) in the Varsity 500 Free and took 5th
- Nicholas Worthington swam a 5:41.88 (-2.36 seconds) and took 7th
- JV 200 Free Relay (Garrett, Ga. McCollough, Meyer, Froehlich) swam 1:47.59 (-.22 of a second)
- JV Relay (Scott, Urias, Skalicky, Cord) swam a 1:57.81 (-.48 of a second)
- Varsity 200 Free Relay (Worth, Belden, Clark, Pacini) swam a 1:34.74 (-.19 of a second) and took 2nd overall
- Caleb Meyer had a personal best in the JV 100 Back with his 1:11.79 (-2 seconds)
- Michael Scott swam a 1:18.61 (-1.28 seconds)
- Mason Cord swam a 1:28.18 (-3.68 seconds)
- Devin Greenwood took 2nd in the Varsity 100 Back with a 59.49 (-.21 of a second)
- Griffen McCollough swam a 1:06.01 (-.22 of a second)
- Tyler Whitehead took 4th in the Varsity 100 Breaststroke with a 1:08.13
- Brayden Clark took 6th overall with a 1:11.64
- JV 400 Free Relay (Santiago, Espinoza, May, Clark) took 1st place
- JV Relay (Worthington, Whitlatch, Gardner, Meyer) swam a 3:57.97 (-1.89 seconds)
- JV Relay (Ga. McCollough, Loiocomo, Froehlich, Irivin) swam a 4:06.44 (-6.35 seconds)
- JV Relay (Urias, Whitehead, Scott, Gr. McCollough) swam a 4:07.72 (-18.82 seconds!)
- Varsity 400 Relay (Pacini, Worth, Greenwood, Belden) swam a 3:29.16 (-.38 of a second) and took 2nd place!
Below are just a few photos from the meet. Be sure to check out the team’s Shutterfly website to see all 208 pictures! You can add your own and/or download photos, but a log-in may be required.
District Swim Meet | Indianola YMCA, February 6th: The Districts guys will head to Indianola in a couple weeks for the biggest meet of the year! By then, these guys will be fully tapered and ready for their chances to drop big time, stand on the podium and, most importantly, qualify for the State Meet! Don’t forget to buy your Gold Out shirts for the meet. Good luck Rails!