The Varsity men’s swimmers traveled to the Cedar Rapids Invite on Saturday (1/16). This invite is a great one for the team to attend because several teams that the guys don’t normally swim are there. This added competition pushes the team and prepares them for the District meet where state qualification happens at a state-wide level.
This meet started out a bit differently. The guys met for a warm-up at Lincoln followed by breakfast before boarding the bus. The added warm-up helped the team do well at the meet! Most guys saw their swims return to close to (or even beat) their season best times. The biggest achievement of the day was that the guys broke the 100 point mark for the first time since going to this meet and took 5th place overall. See more meet highlights below.
Below are a few meet highlights from the Voss Invite.
- Miguel Espinzona’s 2:03.59 200 Free was just .31 of a second from his season best time
- Sam Whitlatch had a season best 50 Free time, 26.19 (-.34 of a second)
- Cooper Worth swam his fastest 100 Fly again, 58.12 and took 7th
- Christian Belden took 7th in the 100 Free with a 51.30, just .06 off his season best time
- 200 Free Relay (Belden, Clark, Worth, Pacini) took 5th overall with 1:35.73
- Devin Greenwood swam 59.90 in the 100 Back and finished 8th
- Griffin McCollough dropped had a new season best time in the 100 Back, 1:06.23 (-.57 of a second)
- Tyler Whitehead took second overall in the 100 Breaststroke with a 1:07.15
- 400 Free Relay (Belden, Worth, Pacini, Greenwood) swam 3:31.14 and took 4th
Meanwhile the Junior Varsity guys had their LAST Saturday practice of the season! These guys are entering the final week of their taper to be fully rested for the Metro Conference Championship Meet.
2015 CIML Metro Championships | Saturday, 1/23: Lincoln hosts the Metro Conference Championship meet this year! The meet starts at 12:00PM and should be a fun one. All swimmers who are not on the District line-up (all JV and some Varsity) guys are fully tapered for this meet, so we should see some awesome improvements in times. Help us pack the stands with maroon and gold and cheer the Rails on during championship season! Don’t forget, you can pay for your conference shirts in advance to guarantee your size(s).