This fun team activity made an appearance a few seasons ago as an alternative to puffy paint. It was tons of fun so we’ve been doing it ever since. Below is a list of what will be provided and what you need to bring.
Tie-dying will start immediately following the time trials meet and it should take 60-90 minutes to mix the dye, do the shirts and wrap them up in plastic.
What We Will Provide
– Tie-Dye Powder
Approx. Colors: Wine, fuchsia, pink, red, orange, coral, yellow, lime, green, teal, royal blue, navy blue and purple
– Plain white shirts (in a limited number – 8 smalls & 8 mediums)
Please try to remember a t-shirt, we’d hate to run out and have people unable to tie-dye
– Plastic wrap
– Rubber bands
– Print-outs of tie-dying techniques (folds, swirls, double swirls, ect)
What You Need to Bring
– $5 for tie-dye materials above ($7 if you’re using one of our shirts)
– White T-shirt for tie-dying
– OPTIONAL – extra tank top, chamois, towels or bandanas to tie-dye (if extra dye is available)
– OPTIONAL – additional colors of tie-dye if you have some or want colors not listed above
Instructions for After Tie-Dye
- Leave the dyed items in plastic for 3-24 hours.
- Unwrap and undo rubber bands.
- Rinse several times thoroughly in cold water to get rid of excess dye.
- Wring. Air dry (outside might be best).
- When first washing, do so separately from other clothes.
On Monday (8/17), bring your handy work to practice! We want to see everyone’s and snap pictures of the completed projects.
Note: This is a team building activity. So though fans and HS men’s swimmers will be present at the time trials meet, we’re asking anyone who is not a Lincoln girls’ swimmer or coach to head home after the meet. Please plan to pick up your athlete (if needed) around 11:00/15AM.