Saturday (9/28) was the annual Lincoln Invite with its Pink in the Pool focus! It was a full house with tons of fans sporting Pink in the Pool t-shirts, bracelets and more. Seven teams competed against each other to earn individual medals and to win the invite, but the Rails came out on top!
DM Lincoln: 512
DM East: 241
Charles City: 160
CB Abraham Lincoln: 120
This victory marks only the second time in 5 years that the Rails have won their invite! It was a team effort all day long. The Rails started the meet strong by winning the Medley Relay. But that momentum continued as they ended the meet by winning the 400 Free Relay. All in all, the Rails had great races all meet, earning several medals and setting new personal and season best times.
In a meet like this, it’s tough to choose just a few highlights to share! See some below:
- Medley Relay of Harrison, A. Skartvedt, Santiago, Simpson swam its fastest time all year, 2:00.77 and took 1st place
- Sara Bennett took 2nd in the 200 Free and dropped over 3 seconds to a new best, 2:11.54
- Emilie Skartvedt dove a new personal best. Her 11 dive score of 347.90 took 3rd place.
- Valeria Santiago swam a great 100 Fly, took 3rd place and dropped to a new best, 1:09.67
- Ane Skartvedt dropped over 1 second to a new best time in the 100 Free, 58.90 and took 2nd!
- Abby Harrison swam a new personal best 100 Back – 1:06.74! Plus – took 1st place!
- Jordyn DuBois’s took 5th place in the 100 Back and swam a new best time of 1:11.47
- 400 Free Relay took 1st by .31 over Boone! Greenwood, A. Skartvedt, S. Bennett, A. Bennett swam their fastest time of the year, 3:58.61
- Alex Bennett earned her Sub :60 T-shirt with split of 59.34 and Sara Bennett earned hers too with 59.63!
Congrats to the entire team on a well-deserved win! The Invite is a great catalyst for the second half of the season, when all these fast times will be needed for good seeds at the Conference Championship meet and Regionals.
Pink in the Pool
This year’s Pink in the Pool focus was a great success. Donations are still being tallied at this point because several areas were involved in putting the event together. But look for an update when we have the final number. We’ll post it to Facebook and Twitter too!
The extra 2013 t-shirts and bracelets will be offered for sale at the SDMS Winter Open House event next Monday, October 7th from 6-7PM. This way all of our club families can join in and help us donate even more to Susan G. Komen of Iowa.
As part of the donation effort, we had three raffle drawings. And the winners are……
$50 to Action Accents – Julie Albright
$50 to Scheels – Julia Santiago
$50 to Nike Store – Marzia Benson
Lincoln vs. Hoover
The Rails take on the Huskies at home on Tuesday (10/1). The meet will start at 5:30PM. Hoover may be a smaller team this year, but they recently won the North High School Invitational. If the Rails win – they’ll be 4-0 against conference opponents and 6-2 on the season! That winning record puts them among the most successful athletic programs at Lincoln High School.