The men’s team had an extremely succesful districts meet on Monday (2/6). In front of a packed house at Roosevelt High School, the Rails swam their way to a solid fourth place and had a podium swimmer in 9 of the 11 events! The guys dropped seconds off their seed times and broke three school records. Here’s some highlights from the meet:
- Medley Relay (Hofmaier, Arias, Mit. Friend, Worth) swimming a 1:42.99
- Seth Carter dropping several seconds in the 200 Free to a 2:13.71
- Brady Edwards going a 1:46.38 in the 200 Free, breaking the school record and being seated 6th in the state
- Mitchell Friend dropping 2 seconds off his seed-time in the 100 Fly to 57.08 and moving up from the second heat to 5th place overall!
- Matt Friend swam a 5:11.24 500 Free, dropping over seven seconds
- 200 Free Relay (Hofmaier, Kern, Arias, Edwards) earning a time of 1.30.42 and breaking the school record by more than a second!
- Hunter Hofmaier swimming at 55.66 in the 100 Back and breaking his own record AGAIN
- Luis Arias going a 1:01.72 in the 100 Breaststroke moving up from the second heat to 2nd place!
- 400 Free Relay (Hofmaier, Knapp, Matt Friend, Edwards) swimming a 3:23.26 and earning a spot at the state meet
You can also view the full meet results. Pictures from the meet can be found in the gallery below.
The Rails qualified seven events to state: all three relays, 200 Free, 500 Free, 100 Back, and the 100 Breaststroke. This means we’ll be bringing 11 guys to the meet including alternates (the most in over 10 years). The alternates named were: Michael Natchigal, Keaton Tripp and Chase Shumaker.
State tickets were sent to the Athletic Office yesterday. We received 100 tickets (wristbands), so there should plenty for families and friends to come to the meet. Buying your tickets now means you don’t have to stand in two lines at the meet and gets you into the stands quicker!
We also have more spectator information, directions to the Marshalltown YMCA and the Events & Awards Schedule. One other tip: Send your athletes with money for state t-shirts. They sell out quickly! The state apparel runs from $15-$40.
Immediately following the state meet, the team (as a whole) and their families are invited to celebrate the day at Okoboji Grill on S.E. 14th St. We have the party room that is located on the left-hand side of the restaurant. Just ask for Lincoln Swimming when you arrive. If you aren’t able to travel to the meet, you are still welcome to come to the dinner! Everyone should be arriving to the restaurant around
District Meet Photos