The Regionals meet on Saturday, October 29th was a big day for the women’s swim team. The girls tapered for the meet for almost two weeks. They were hoping to see some big time drops. And they did! There were notable swims throughout the day including:
- Medley Relay dropping over 2 seconds to a 1:56.48 and earning a top 5 finish!
- Alex Bennett trimming over 4 seconds in her 200 Free
- Valeria Santiago dropping 10 seconds in her 200 IM
- Torie Dotts swimming 3.5 seconds faster in the 100 Free
- Erica Shannon dropping 20 seconds in the 500 Free AND 9 seconds in the 200 Free
- Evan Chidley swimming 8 seconds faster in her 500 Free AND 4 seconds in her 200 Free
- Emilie Skartvedt trimming 2.5 seconds off her 100 Back time
- Brittany Purscell dropping over 1.5 seconds in the 100 Breast to a 1:05.21, taking 1st place at Regionals and breaking S.E. Polk’s pool record
- Jordan Greenwood dropped 4 seconds in the 100 Free during her part of the 400 Free Relay
- Autum Song earning the season’s only Sub :60 Club T-shirt! She broke a minute in the 100 Free for the first time during the 400 Freestyle relay
All of the Regionals had fast meets across the state of Iowa. When the cut-off times were released, there was shock among the coaches. All 11 state cut-off times were the fastest in Iowa swimming history. Some events were unbelievable, like the 100 Fly. It had never been a 1:02 before, but this year’s cut was 1:02.00.
With these unprecedented cut-times, the Rails are proud to announce that we are sending the Medley Relay (Abby Harrison, Brittany Purscell, Autum Song and Abigail Contreras), Brittany’s 100 Breaststroke and Alex Bennett as the alternate to the State Meet in Marshalltown!
Brittany is seeded in the top spot at State by over two seconds. She hoping to be State Champion and is trying for All-American status and the State record in the 100 Breaststroke.
Good luck Rails!
Want more details about State or Regionals? Click on the appropriate links for:
Rails Swimming State Meet details
State Swimming Heat & Lane assignments
Regional Results (scroll to the middle of the page to pick a regional)